We partnered up with Karlee Flores from Olive and Artisan for your next Sunday morning baking project—tender and airy cardamom rolls drizzled with Bouquet infused icing. The fruit-forward aromas of hyssop and rooibos in Bouquet lift the sweetness and bring a whole new level of complexity to the icing. This twist on a classic Swedish pastry belongs at your breakfast table next to a steaming cup of tea.
For the dough:
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/4 teaspoon yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda (or pinch)
- Warm the milk to 100-110 degrees and add in the yeast with 1 tablespoon of sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes to foam.
- In a standing mixer, mix together the remaining sugar, melted butter, and egg yolk.
- Add in the yeast mixture and combine. Place in the flour, salt and baking soda and knead on medium speed until a ball forms.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside for an hour.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out the dough into a 10x14 inch rectangle. Spread with 1/4 cup room temperature butter over the dough and sprinkle with the sugar mixture until the entire surface is covered.
- Roll the dough length-wise and pinch down the ends.
- Cut into 8 pieces and place onto a parchment lined pie plate.
- Cover with a clean towel and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Bake the rolls for 23-25 minutes.
- Let rolls cool for about 10 - 15 minutes before icing.
For the sugar mixture: Toss together 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cardamom, 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons loose leaf Smith Teamaker Bouquet
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream
Directions for icing:
- For the icing, in a small saucepan over medium heat melt the butter and bouquet together.
- Once melted, take off the heat and let steep for 3 minutes.
- Strain out the tea leaves and add in the powdered sugar and cream.
- Whisk together until smooth and creamy.
- Once rolls are cool, drizzle icing over top.