Cardamom Rolls with Bouquet Infused Icing
We partnered up with Karlee Flores from Olive and Artisan for your next Sunday morning baking project—tender and airy cardamom rolls drizzled with Bouquet infused icing. The fruit-forward aromas of hyssop and rooibos in Bouquet lift the sweetness and bring a whole new level of complexity to the icing. This twist on a classic Swedish pastry belongs at your breakfast table next to a steaming cup of tea.
For the dough:
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/4 teaspoon yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda (or pinch)
- Warm the milk to 100-110 degrees and add in the yeast with 1 tablespoon of sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes to foam.
- In a standing mixer, mix together the remaining sugar, melted butter, and egg yolk.
- Add in the yeast mixture and combine. Place in the flour, salt and baking soda and knead on medium speed until a ball forms.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside for an hour.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out the dough into a 10x14 inch rectangle. Spread with 1/4 cup room temperature butter over the dough and sprinkle with the sugar mixture until the entire surface is covered.
- Roll the dough length-wise and pinch down the ends.
- Cut into 8 pieces and place onto a parchment lined pie plate.
- Cover with a clean towel and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Bake the rolls for 23-25 minutes.
- Let rolls cool for about 10 - 15 minutes before icing.
For the sugar mixture: Toss together 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cardamom, 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons loose leaf Smith Teamaker Bouquet
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream
Directions for icing:
- For the icing, in a small saucepan over medium heat melt the butter and bouquet together.
- Once melted, take off the heat and let steep for 3 minutes.
- Strain out the tea leaves and add in the powdered sugar and cream.
- Whisk together until smooth and creamy.
- Once rolls are cool, drizzle icing over top.