A very lightly caffeinated latte, brimming with good cheer. This toasty blend of hojicha and traditional chai spices with a happy hint of chocolate, has all the fixins of a delightful holiday beverage.
- 3 Ho-Ho-Hoji-Chai sachets
- 5/8 oz. simple syrup
- 2% milk for steaming
- Brown sugar for coating surface of latte
- Holiday tree stencil (can DIY this: cut out the shape of a tree using cardstock and tape back together)
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- Culinary torch
- Spiced salt*
- Steep 3 bags of Ho-Ho-Hoji-Chai in latte cup for 5 minutes with water just after boiling.
- Add 5/8 oz. simple syrup.
- Top with 2% steamed milk (whole milk's richness can cause loss of flavor).
- Sprinkle the top with brown sugar – enough to fully coat the foam.
- Brûlée using a culinary torch.
- Using tree stencil, dust the top with cocoa powder.
- Sprinkle the tree with cardamom-clove spiced salt* and enjoy.
*To make the spiced salt:
- 8 oz. mason jar
- Jacobsen flake salt, enough to nearly fill the 8 oz. jar
- 2 tbsp of cardamom
- 1 tbsp of cloves
Heat the spices in the pan for 5 minutes or so to release the oils and then immediately toss them in the salt. Store spices and salt together in sealed mason jar.