Delicate, tender green tea leaves from China's Fujian Province, our No.96 Jasmine Silver Tip tea leaves are harvested each May and steam-fired to maintain their flavor - then placed amid just- picked jasmine buds, which open slowly to share their fragrance. Many call it the perfect marriage.
Iced Jasmine Soy Latte
- Fill a 12oz cup 3/4 of the way full with ice.
- Measure 1.5oz of your Jasmine Tea Syrup (see recipe below) and pour over ice.
- Fill the cup with soy milk (or your preferred milk/substitute) up to 1/3 of an inch from the top.
- Transfer into a cocktail shaker and vigorously shake until the shaker becomes practically too cold to the touch (a mason jar can also work in place of a cocktail shaker).
- Transfer drink back into its glass and top with a drizzle of the Huckleberry Habanero Syrup (see recipe below).
- Stir to incorporate and enjoy!
Huckleberry Habanero Syrup
- Add 1 cup of wild huckleberries to your stock pot (blackberries work also).
- Heat slowly with low temperature - always keeping it just below low simmer.
- Press fruit with a potato masher or a slotted spoon as the fruit starts to break down.
- Transfer into a bowl, straining out fruit solids.
- Pour remaining fruit juice back into stock pot.
- Add 1 habanero pepper - remove stem but do NOT cut open (we want the floral aroma and slight spice that this slow steeping gives it).
- Bring just below simmer and stir occasionally, reducing juice to more of a syrup texture.
- Store in glass or ceramic container along with pepper in refrigerator overnight.
- Use a spoon or a squeeze bottle to dispense the Huckleberry Habanero Syrup on top of latte (or ice cream).
*Can be made a day ahead of time.
Jasmine Tea Simple Syrup
- Use 4 sachets of No.96 Jasmine Silver Tip per 1 cup of hot water.
- Bring water to just under a boil (about 190 degrees) and add sachets. Steep them for 5 minutes. Remove sachets.
- Add 3/4 to 1 cup sugar
- Stir on low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Store in glass container with lid - let the tea syrup cool and then refrigerate until use.
- Good for 5-7 days if kept refrigerated.
*Can be made ahead of time.
How Our Teamakers Developed This Latte
Our new Iced Jasmine Soy Latte with a beautiful Huckleberry syrup on top. The bright, assertive yet delicate Jasmine and vegetal flavor pairs excellent with soy milk.
This drink needed some acidity and complexity so Tony began experimenting with rosemary and thyme and other herbs but these were all too dominant. Tony then experimented with peppers and spices. Habanero peppers are insanely spicy if they are open and their seeds exposed. So the Tea Department decided to allow the peppers to sit in a sauce of huckleberries overnight to infuse quietly. A kiss of heat and a touch of floral and fruit from the huckleberries.
Enjoy this incredibly special drink inspired by our friends at Bull in China who have been teaching us how to use cocktail shakers and marry flavors. They have cocktail shakers, stirrers, glassware and more on their online store so be sure to check them out.