This caffeine-free show stopper made with our Pacific Lemongrass Iced Tea is a reference to not only the current pandemic that’s cleared everyone’s social calendars, but also to the STYX song we can’t stop listening to in our tea lab.
Incorporating a homemade grenadine that’s both cleaner and more straight forward than the store-bought counterpart, this beverage looks best when layered to be hombre, but appreciates a good stir after preparation for optimal flavor.
- 4oz Pacific Lemongrass Iced Tea concentrate*
- 4oz Sparkling water (we used Topo Chico)
- 1 ½ tsp Homemade grenadine**
- 1 tsp Simple syrup***
- Orange peel for garnish
- Add grenadine to Collins glass, then fill with ice.
- Slowly layer the tea concentrate, simple syrup, and top with sparkling water so that there’s a gradation of color.
- Garnish with an orange peel.
*For Pacific Lemongrass concentrate:
- Bring spring or freshly drawn filtered water to a boil (212 degrees).
- Steep 1 oversized sachet of Smith’s Pacific Lemongrass Iced Tea in 16oz of water for 5 minutes.
- Remove tea and water back up to 16oz and let cool. Will make enough concentrate for 4 mocktails.
**For homemade grenadine:
- In a nonstick or steel skillet combine 1 cup 100% pomegranate juice (we used POM Wonderful) and 1 cup Demerara sugar and set to medium heat.
- Once you reach a stiff simmer, reduce the heat slightly and add the peel of one whole orange.
- Simmer steadily for 10-15 minutes. You’ll notice a slight reduction of volume.
- Remove from heat and let stand 15 minutes.
- Strain into a clean airtight jar and refrigerate for up to one month.
***For simple syrup:
- Mix equal parts hot water and sweetener of choice until fully dissolved.
- Let cool.