Peppermint Smash Cocktail
In the world of cocktails, Smashes generally include mint or some herb component, an element of seasonal fruit, and muddling is often involved. Although Smashes can be a vague category of drinks, they are known for being refreshing, fruity and especially popular in warmer months. In this recipe, we combine fresh mint with a Peppermint Leaves reduction for an elevated mint flavor that is easy to make at home.
For Peppermint Reduction:
- 5 sachets No. 45 Peppermint Leaves
- 16 ounces filtered water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 ounce Vodka (optional, lengthens shelf life)
- 1 1/2 ounces Peppermint Leaves reduction
- 1 ounce Gin
- 1/4 ounce Meyer lemon
- Fresh mint garnish
- Bring water to a boil and add tea sachets. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove tea and add sugar. Stir until dissolved.
- Let syrup rest and bring to room temperature. Add Vodka and store in refrigerator.
- Cut up Meyer lemon into quarters.
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker tin and smash 4-5 times with a muddler.
- Add ice and shake vigorously for 6 seconds.
- Double strain into an Old-Fashioned glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint.