We're in the throes of summer, and that means there's no better time to take advantage of the fresh summer fruit by making a fresh batch of berry jam. This recipe comes from chef Karl Holl who combined tart and juicy marionberries with our aromatic Lord Bergamot black tea blend to create a jam that you’ll want to slather on just about everything.
Lord Bergamot Jam
- 2 teaspoons Lord Bergamot loose or 2 sachet
- 1 cup water, boiling
- 2 pounds fresh marionberries
- 1 ½ cups cane sugar
- 3 teaspoons pectin powder
- Steep 2 teaspoons Lord Bergamot or 2 sachets in 1 cup of boiling water heated to 212 degrees for 5 minutes. Strain, and discard leaves. Combine the tea concentrate with the marionberries and sugar. Let sit for 2 hours or if you have time, overnight in your refrigerator.
- Add berry mixture to a large pot and bring to a boil. Turn down to a medium-high heat and let simmer for 1 hour. Add pectin powder, stir to combine and let simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Turn off heat.
- To check consistency, chill a small plate in the freezer, remove and add a spoonful of jam then let rest in the refrigerator for 5 minutes. Cook more if a thicker jam is desired. Store in bell jars and refrigerate. Will keep for 2 to 3 weeks refrigerated.