A finely ground powder of specially grown Japanese green tea, our matcha makes especially delicious lattes. A favorite among Smith Teamakers, our Matcha Latte recipe leads to a delicious and vibrant green beverage that pairs wonderfully with both dairy and milk alternatives. For everything you need to whisk up any matcha drink, find our Matcha Tea Kit that comes with a locally handmade ceramic bowl and traditional bamboo whisk.
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon matcha powder, depending on preference
- Freshly drawn filtered water at 175℉
- 8 ounces milk of choice
- Simple syrup (optional)
- Matcha whisk
- Measure matcha powder and sift into a 12 ounce latte cup or bowl.
- Add 1 ounce of water at 175℉ to create a concentrate.
- Mix with a matcha whisk or electric frother to remove any clumps. Continue whisking until no visible powder remains.
- Add simple syrup to taste. We recommend 5/8 ounce.
- Steam milk of your choice and pour into mixture.
- Using less matcha powder will give you a sweeter, lighter flavor, while using more matcha powder will give you a stronger vegetal flavor characteristic of matcha. We recommend playing around with ratios until you find the ideal recipe just for you.
- For best extraction, do not use water over 175℉. Any temperature higher than this will yield a bitter extraction and take away from the nuances in the matcha flavor. At 175℉, your drink will remain warm; however, the water temperature is low enough that the matcha will taste its best.