From the coastlines of Chennai to the streets of Calcutta to the tech industry in Mumbai, chai is the national drink of India, equally enjoyed by individuals from all walks of life. Below we show you how to make an Iced Chai Latte using our Masala Chai. Start by making your own chai concentrate, then simply incorporate with milk to enjoy this piquant beverage any time of day.
Iced Chai Latte
- 2 sachets of Masala Chai
- Freshly drawn filtered water just off the boil
- 8oz milk of choice
- Simple syrup (optional)
- Pour 3-4 ounces of boiling water over two sachets to create a concentrate. Steep for 5 minutes and remove the sachets.
- Allow the chai concentrate to cool to room temperature. Tip: for faster cooling, place the concentrate in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- Fill a 12 ounce glass with ice.
- In a separate glass, combine the concentrate with cold milk.
- Pour the mixture over ice.
- Sweeten to taste with simple syrup.
Notes on preparation
- We recommend making the chai fresh; however, you can store it covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Note that all quality teas may cloud when refrigerated. To make larger batches of concentrate, scale up the recipe proportionately. To give extra spice to your Iced Chai Latte recipe, add a bit of fresh ginger juice to taste.
- Rather than using a separate glass to combine your concentrate and milk, pour both into a cocktail shaker to mix. Feel free to add a splash of rum or Bailey's if you are so inclined.
- You are welcome to pour the concentrate directly over cold milk on ice without first mixing the two in a separate glass. Be sure to combine generously for best flavor.